Tuesday, April 19, 2011

iWonder

Lately in the headlines I have been hearing about schools buying iPads to use in their classrooms. My first thought is cool! But then after a while I think to myself, is it really worth it? What is wrong with a computer? A computer at least has a keyboard to practice typing skills and such. With an iPad you hunt and peck while you type. What makes the iPad so special?

In case you did not know I am planning on getting my endorsement in Special Education. I read an article at bx.businessweek.com and learned how iPads can be very useful with special education students, including severe cases of special education. There is a special application called Proloquo2Go that can help students who have trouble speaking. The application contains images and common phrases for the user to select. Not to mention, the touch screen is a huge benefit for some special education students. The iPad is simple to work with and is user friendly to people with vision problems. 

If the Proloquo2Go application is not what you need, there are many other assortments of special education applications to select from the Apple. Apple has had such a high demand in special education applications that they have created a page within the apps store to make it more convenient for buyers to buy these unique applications. 

These new applications for an iPad are pretty exciting. They open new opportunities for students with disabilities whether it is communicating or learning. I wonder if I will ever have the opportunity to work in a classroom with iPads. I wonder what we can learn about students with disabilities through this technology. I wonder about all the doors that it will open because students can use this technology to express themselves like never before.

Image used with permission from Flickr by arnybo

No comments:

Post a Comment